Who loves karela?? Not me!!! Still I make it once in a while & guess what it is ending up tasty everytime I make..so lets forget (that it is not karela for sometime) and lets start cooking….!!
- Kakarakaya/Karela – 4: Slightly peeled & cut into medium size (C shaped pieces) & add 2 tsps of curd &salt, apply to all pieces and mix well. Once all pieces are coated, squeeze the juice, wash the pieces & squeeze any additional water & keep aside.
- Onion – 1 big – cut long(thin) – make into 2 portions
- Minapappu/Urad dal – 3tsps
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Cumin – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 2pinches
- Red chillies -2
- Curry leaves- 10
- Red chilli powder – 2tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4tsp
- Salt – add according to your taste
- Sugar – 2tsp (you can add more if you would like to )
- Lemon juice – 1/4tsp
- Dhania powder – 1tsp
- Cilantro – 2tsp
- Oil – 3tsps
Take wide kadai, turn on the stove & add oil. Once oil is heated add mustard seeds (let is splutter),cumin seeds, hing,red chillies, curry leaves & mix well. Then add 1portion of onions, urad dal, mix well & let it fry until onions changes color(make sure urad dal is not burnt). Next add karela/kakaraya pieces, turmeric powder, salt mix well & let it cook on medium heat for 5mins, then add dhania powder mix well & cook for another 5mins, then add rest of the onions, cilantro, sugar & salt(if needed) mix well & squeeze lemon juice!!You can eat with white rice or you can eat as a side dish for dal or sambhar!! Enjoy!!